Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small merchants to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Uganda use Sokowatch's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Role: Treasury Accountant, reporting to the Global Head of Finance
Seeking a Treasury Accountant who will be tasked with performing and reviewing key bank and cash reconciliations. The Treasury Accountant will also be responsible for performing payments and confirming clearance of payments in the bank.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinating with country finance teams for weekly and monthly cashflow forecasts.
- Payment processing and liaising with the bank to ensure payments are done promptly.
- Posting of payment transactions into the general ledger.
- Confirming electronic transfers/cheques clearance with the bank.
- Handling queries/complaints of financial nature on the payments that have been made for agents, vendors and other departments.
- Reconciliation of payment control account.
- Preparation of weekly and monthly bank and mobile money reconciliations & investigating any outstanding issues thereafter.
- Providing remittance advice for the payments processed and monitoring bank accounts to ensure payments are up to date.
- Maintaining confidentiality of organizational information.
- Assisting in end month closure processes relating to treasury and investments
- Preparing and providing relevant supporting documentation for internal and external audits.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned by management.
- Preparation of weekly bank and mobile money reconciliations and ensuring all variances are resolved within prescribed timelines.
- Overseeing monthly petty cash counts across the different branches.
- Daily cash reconciliation and daily agents reconciliation sign off.
- Sign off on weekly sales receipt control account and debtors account.
- Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration; CPA qualification; MBA/CFA a plus but not required
- Thorough knowledge of IFRS and experience with accounting and financial procedures
- Strong investigative and analytical skills; ability to identify errors
- Experience reconciling accounting figures and financial records
- Appropriate handling of sensitive information
- Ability to work to deadlines
- High level of attention to detail
- Team player with the ability to work with multiple parties
- Advanced computer software skills, including Excel and Accounting packages