Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small shops to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services that were previously unavailable. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda use Sokowatch's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Position: Principal Engineer (DEV), reporting to Global Head of Engineering
We are looking for an individual who has deep interest and passion for technology and loves designing, coding, and owning large scale systems while working with people who will keep challenging you at every stage. You also have strong problem solving, analytic, decision-making, and excellent communication abilities with interpersonal skills.
You should be self-driven and motivated with the desire to work in a fast-paced, results-driven agile environment with varied responsibilities and also have to provide technical leadership and mentoring to a small team of highly talented and motivated engineers to deliver these solutions with the highest quality.
Locations: Bangalore, India or Nairobi, Kenya
Duties & Responsibilities
- Designing and building large components or multiple services.
- Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
- Ability to clearly communicate high-level strategy and technical details effectively across disciplines, locations, and organizations, including senior leadership.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Leverage knowledge of internal and industry in design decisions.
- Mentor other engineers, define our technical culture and help build a fast-growing team
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Proven team leadership, interpersonal skills, and ability to get things done
- 10+ years prior experience in software product development.
- 3+ years prior experience in principal or architect, or a similar role.
- Masters / Degree in Computer Science or Related Field from premier institutes.
- 5+ years of experience building microservices
- Experience in Object-oriented design and programming
- Strong experience in architecting and building distributed systems
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and designing for performance
- Strong knowledge of cloud technologies like AWS/Google Cloud/Azure
- Proficient with RDBMS & NoSQL Databases
- Strong knowledge of data stores, database design, data modeling, and SQL queries.
- Strong knowledge of one or more big data processing stacks
- Enforcing excellent code quality
- Experience working on one or more large scale applications/platforms
- Driving Non-Functional Requirements
- Should be proficient in Server Side (Java/Linux/J2EE) technologies
- Experience in handling complex production issues
Good to have:
- Knowledge of B2B & B2C retail eCommerce
- Experience developing, maintaining, and innovating large scale, consumer-facing web applications.
- DevOps mindset.
- Experience in data science is plus
- Experience in Spring boot or any good framework.