Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small shops to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services that were previously unavailable. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda use Sokowatch's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Position: Principal Engineer (QA), reporting to Global Head of Engineering
We are looking for an individual who has deep interest and passion for technology and loves product with zero bugs or issues, our philosophy is to build it, you break it and then rebuild it better. That thinking is at the core of how we approach testing at sokowatch. You promote automated testing as core culture in the engineering organisation and write scripts to automate testing and create tools so developers can test their own code. As a Test Engineer, you navigate multiple codebase, identify weak spots and constantly design better and creative ways to break software and identify potential problems. You'll have a huge impact on the quality of sokowatch's growing suite of products and services and owning large scale systems while working with people who will keep challenging you at every stage. You also have strong problem solving, analytic, decision-making, and excellent communication abilities with interpersonal skills.
You use your knowledge of testing and testability to influence better software design, promote proper engineering practice, bug prevention strategies, testability, accessibility, privacy, and other advanced quality concepts across products. You should be self-driven and motivated with the desire to work in a fast-paced, results-driven agile environment with varied responsibilities and also have to provide technical leadership and mentoring to a small team of highly talented and motivated QA engineers to deliver automation solutions with the highest quality.
Locations: Bangalore India or Nairobi Kenya
Duties & Responsibilities
● Achieve maximum test automation coverage.
● Reduce Test Cycle times and increase Product Reliability.
● Design and Implement automation framework to execute automation.
● Work closely with the product team which includes PM, Designers, Developers, and QA right from the inception of features. Design new and enhance existing test suites based on business requirements.
● Execute the test cases and report relevant issues to the concerned stakeholders.
● Own the quality of features and the delivery of the entire feature.
● Design, implement & maintain functional test automation at different product layers, viz. service and UI layers.
● Analyze, debug and fix the automated tests on a daily basis and raise defects accordingly.
● Analyze the testing process, release cycle, testing tools technologies and suggest improvements.
● Work vertically on each feature to test the business logic on the server-side and the user experience and user flows on UI (Mobile Application).
● Understand the business and product requirements as related to payments and the existing service architecture. Gain a deeper understanding of the domain
● Take responsibility for monitoring product development and usage at all levels with an eye toward improving product quality.
● Create test harnesses and infrastructure.
● Leverage knowledge of internal and industry in QA automation.
● Mentor other QA engineers, define our automation culture and help build a fast-growing team ● Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
● Proven team leadership, interpersonal skills, and ability to get things done.
● 10+ years prior experience in software product development.
● 3+ years prior experience in QA principal or architect, or a similar role.
● Masters / Degree in Computer Science or Related Field from premier institutes.
● Enforcing excellent code quality
● Hands-on in API testing techniques and tools.
● Experience with API testing tools like Postman, TestNG, JUnit, SonarQube.
● Working knowledge of mobile testing
● Strong experience in building distributed systems
● Strong knowledge of cloud technologies like AWS/Google Cloud/Azure
● Experience working on one or more large scale applications/platforms
● Experience in handling complex production issues
● Familiarity and knowledge about CI/CD tools like Jenkins, gitlab, etc
Good to have:
● Knowledge of B2B & B2C retail eCommerce
● Experience developing, maintaining, and innovating large-scale, consumer-facing web applications.
● Script Automated tests for Web Applications using Selenium WebDriver (Java)
● Proficient with RDBMS & NoSQL Databases
● Driving Non-Functional Requirements