Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small merchants to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no distributors or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across East and West Africa use Sokowatch's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Role: Engineering Manager reporting to Global Head of Engineering
We are looking for an individual who has deep interest and passion for technology, people, processes, engineering excellence rigor and loves to build products for customers, our philosophy is to build the world's best experiences for our customers and you as a leader promote technology best practices, product discovery, design culture, engineering excellence, rigour, agile best practices, TDD, peer reviews, branching strategies, release management, automated testing, non-functional requirements optimisation, simplification as a core culture in the engineering organisation.
Engineering Managers have not only the technical expertise to take on and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also manage a team of engineers. You not only optimize your own systems but make sure engineers are able to optimize design and systems across platforms/teams. As a Engineering Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team. Engineering teams work all across the company, in areas such as Customer Engagement, Supply Chain, Finance, Revenue, Data Engineering, Information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, security, data compression, user interface design; the list goes on and is growing every day. Operating with scale and speed, our exceptional software engineers are just getting started -- and as a manager, you guide the way.
Locations: Bangalore, India
Duties & Responsibilities
● You not only have the technical chops to roll up sleeves and provide technical leadership to major projects, but also build and manage a team of top notch engineers.
● As an Engineering Manager you manage your business goals, contribute to product strategy and help develop your team.
● Create clear career paths for team members and help them grow with regular & deep mentoring. Perform regular performance evaluation and share and seek feedback.
● Operating with scale and speed amidst flux, there is just a LOT happening.
● You are their default mentor for your team.
● You work closely with the Product Management, Business Development and Operations team and enable them by providing scalable and high quality technology solutions at a rapid pace.
● You set up best practices for development and champion their adoption and at the same time Architect & design technically robust, flexible and scalable solutions.
● You work with designers, business analysts, and product managers to estimate and plan projects in an Agile environment
● Perform well in uncertainties and collaborate and work with unclear interfaces to other teams in our rapidly evolving organizations.
● Updates with new technology trends and constantly and adopts them to improve the games.
● Improve productivity of the team with better CI, CD and Automation
● Facilitate and create problem solving culture in the team.
● Demonstrates strong execution skills, decision-making skills, data-driven.
● Be obsessed about players and giving the best experience to our players.
● Driving Non-Functional Requirements.
● 12+ years prior experience in software product development.
● 5+ years of experience in managing teams, including hiring, mentoring and building strong teams.
● Masters / Degree in Computer Science or Related Field from premier institutes.
● Good communication skills, interpersonal skills with experience in building strong internal relationships
● Good Analytical, Problem solving and Debugging skills.
● Hands on experience in Designing, Coding and release management.
● Strong Knowledge In Design, Programming Languages, Processes & Distributed Systems.
● Knowledge of B2B & B2C retail eCommerce
● Strong experience in building distributed systems.
● Strong knowledge of cloud technologies like AWS/Google Cloud/Azure
● Experience working on one or more large scale applications/platforms
● Experience in handling complex production issues.
● Familiarity and knowledge about CI/CD tools like Jenkins, gitlab, etc
Good to have:
● Big Data Processing & Stack Knowledge
● Product Management Experience
● QA Automation Experience