Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small shops to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services that were previously unavailable. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers, or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda use Sokowatch's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Position: Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack)
You have a deep interest in and passion for technology. You love writing and owning codes and enjoy working with people who will keep challenging you at every stage. You have strong problem solving, analytic, decision-making and excellent communication with interpersonal skills.
You are self-driven and motivated with the desire to work in a fast-paced, results-driven agile environment with varied responsibilities. You will also have to provide technical leadership and mentoring to a small team of highly talented and motivated engineers to deliver these solutions with highest quality.
- Bangalore India or Nairobi Kenya
- 6+ years prior experience in software product development.
- 3+ years prior experience in principal or architect, or a similar role.
- Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology from premier institutes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designing and building large components or multiple services.
- Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
- Ability to clearly communicate high level strategy and technical details effectively across disciplines, locations, and organizations, including to senior leadership.
- Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
- Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
- Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
- Leverage knowledge of internal and industry in design decisions.
- Mentor other engineers, define our technical culture, and help build a fast-growing team
- Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
- Proven team leadership, interpersonal skills, and ability to get things done
- 5+ years of experience building microservices
- Should be proficient in Server Side (Java/Linux/J2EE) technologies
- Strong be proficient in PWA, MPA/SPA, Micro Front Ends, HTML 5.0, CSS 3.0
- Experience in Object-oriented design and programming
- Strong experience in architecting and building distributed systems
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and designing for performance
- Strong knowledge of cloud technologies like AWS/Google Cloud/Azure
- Proficient with RDBMS & NoSQL Databases
- Strong knowledge on data stores, database design, data modelling and SQL queries.
- Strong knowledge of one or more big data processing stacks
- Enforcing excellent code quality
- Experience working on one or more large scale applications / platforms
- Driving Non-Functional Requirements
- Experience in handling complex production issues
Good to have's:
- Knowledge of B2B & B2C retail eCommerce
- Experience developing, maintaining, and innovating large scale, consumer facing web applications.
- DevOps mindset.
- Experience in data science is plus
- Experience in a newer Spring boot or any good framework.