Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small merchants to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Uganda use Sokowatch's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Role: Tax Manager, reporting to the Global Head of Finance
We're looking for an exceptional tax manager who will develop and maintain a strong working relationship whilst keeping up to date with business priorities and developments, and acting as a trusted business advisor in order to challenge and support the markets in improving overall tax management. The tax manager will keep the business up to date with the implications of any tax/regulatory changes and will advise in a timely manner on best course of action by the business to ensure compliance with tax laws and regulations while also factoring the business strategies.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Engage tax advisers and Tax Authorities and coordinate responses to all tax audits and queries within timelines agreed with or demanded by tax authorities
- Strategic Tax Planning, Tax Risks Mitigation and routine tax Compliance by proactively advising and mitigating all tax risks for all countries.
- Managing the monthly, quarterly and yearly processes of VAT, Withholding Tax, Reverse VAT, Deferred Tax and Corporation Tax computations and prepare / review monthly tax returns and follow up for timely filing with, payment to & reconciliation with tax offices for the different countries.
- Provide effective tax solutions that implement appropriate - tax optimization opportunities for the business while adhering to all laws and regulations
- Responsible for driving the Group’s tax planning and execution, enabling exceptional tax project delivery, operational effectiveness and governance.
- Manages multi-country tax complexities and optimization to support business while ensuring perfect compliance and governance.
- Represent the Group and its entities with government authorities including Revenue Authorities.
- Stay updated and analyze impact of new tax regulations and laws
- Review of contracts to advice on the tax implications their in.
- Manage tax reconciliations including daily sales tax reconciliation, tax accounting GL reconciliations and tax authorities’ ledger reconciliations.
- Support delivery of changes/improvements relating to tax such as tax integrations with various authorities
- Support the relationship with external tax advisors and hold them to account for the delivery of timely, cost effective and value adding tax advice
- Ensure all the companies have appropriate Transfer Pricing documentation and that they adhere to the Transfer Pricing agreements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Law, Economics or other Business Field.
- Professional qualification in CPA (K) or ACCA is a requirement
- Postgraduate qualification will be an added advantage
- At least 10 Years’ Experience in Taxation, Finance and Accounting.
- A minimum of 5 Years in an audit firm environment with experience in handling legal tax matters will be an added advantage.
- Planning and Organizing skills
- Customer Service Skills
- Leadership & Advisory Skills