Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small merchants to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services previously unavailable to informal businesses. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Uganda use Sokowatch's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Role: GL Accountant, reporting to the Global Head of Finance
Seeking a GL Executive who will be tasked with performing and reviewing key reconciliations such as general ledger and other key accounts. The GL Executive will be responsible for performing reviews of the General Ledgers across the group.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Entering financial data such as accruals, deferrals, reclassifications, and interdepartmental entries into the ledger on a monthly basis, as well as preparing reports.
- Reviewing and performing account analysis to ensure that journal entries and balances are correct.
- Performing and reviewing ledger subledger reconciliations for all balance sheet items.
- Performing and reviewing inventory and tax reconciliations.
- Performing and reviewing reconciliations for bank & cash balances; debtors; suppliers; inventory and control accounts.
- Generating fixed asset register and fixed asset movement schedule which ties to the General Ledger.
- Assisting in instituting financial controls (including end of day, end of month procedures) that are aimed to ensure integrity of financial data capture and aide in the process for regular reconciliations.
- Analyzing financial data and trace discrepancies.
- Reviewing supporting documentation for accounting transactions.
- Keeping abreast of regulatory requirements and best practices in accounting.
- Ensuring precise data entry - conducting audits to review data accuracy
- Supporting budgeting and forecasting activities.
- Preparing management accounts including balance sheet and profit and loss statement and budget analysis.
- Assisting the team with accounting issues and queries.
- Supporting Monthly and Annual Close Processes..
- Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration; CPA qualification; MBA/CFA a plus but not required
- Thorough knowledge of IFRS and experience with accounting and financial procedures
- Strong investigative and analytical skills; ability to identify errors
- Experience reconciling accounting figures and financial records
- Appropriate handling of sensitive information
- Ability to work to deadlines
- High level of attention to detail
- Team player with the ability to work with multiple parties
- Advanced computer software skills, including Excel and Accounting packages