Sokowatch is transforming communities across Africa by revolutionizing access to essential goods and services. By connecting small shops to the digital economy, we fix inefficient supply chains and provide services that were previously unavailable. Sokowatch aims to provide everything a retailer needs, no wholesalers, or banks necessary.
Thousands of retailers across Kenya, Tanzania, and Rwanda use Sokowatch's mobile ordering and delivery platform to receive the goods they need as quickly and cheaply as possible while also accessing growth financing for the first time. We’re looking to grow our team with highly talented and motivated employees who are excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment.
Position: Software Engineer (Java)
Sokowatch is looking for a Java Developer with experience in building high-performing, scalable, enterprise-grade applications.
You will be part of a talented software team that works on mission-critical applications. Java developer roles and responsibilities include managing Java/Java EE application development while providing expertise in the full software development lifecycle, from concept and design to testing.
Java developer responsibilities include designing, developing and delivering high-volume, low-latency applications for mission-critical systems.
Location: Remote, East Africa & India.
The ideal candidate should:
- 4+ years experience with Software development
- Proven hands-on Software Development experience
- Proven working experience in Java, Web development
- Hands-on experience in designing and developing applications using Java EE and Web platforms
- Object-Oriented analysis and design using common design patterns
- Profound insight of Java and JEE internals (Classloading, Memory Management, Transaction management etc)
- Excellent knowledge of Relational Databases, SQL, PSQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate)
- Experience in the Spring Framework and Spring Boot Framework
- Experience in developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC, Spring Boot)
- Knowledge in Angular Web Framework, HTML5, CSS3, SASS
- Experience with test-driven development
- Knowledge of Jasper Reports, and ability to design and implement Jasper Reports.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Team-first attitude
- Good time-management skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code
- Ensure designs are in compliance with specifications
- Prepare and produce releases of software components
- Support continuous improvement by investigating alternatives and technologies and presenting these for architectural review
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features
- Work with outside data sources and APIs
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
- Work on bug fixing and improving application performance
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency
- Time management and self-organization.